On October 31, 2015, the Coalición de Derechos Humanos and friends will be commemorating all the lives lost crossing the border during the 15th Annual Día de los Muertos Pilgrimage.
Since the year 2000, this group has walked 7.8 miles from St. John’s Church, on 12th Ave & Ajo, to the San Xavier Mission carrying crosses dedicated to all the remains found in the Arizona-Sonora Desert. This year they will carry 133 crosses and will lay the 2,771 crosses of the past 15 years at the San Xavier Mission.
Here are ways you can support this event:
- Sponsor the event—Send a check for $25 with Día de los Muertos in the memo to P.O. Box 1286, Tucson, AZ 85702 or click here.
- Volunteer to help make crosses on October 24th, 2015 at 9 a.m. at 5090 S. Jeanette Ave.
- Volunteer to help load the crosses on Friday, October 30th at 5 p.m. at the Global Justice Center at 225 E. 26th St.
- Volunteer to help lay out our 2,771 crosses the day of the event on Saturday, October 31st at 6 a.m. at the San Xavier Mission.
- Volunteer to help pick up all of the crosses from the San Xavier Mission at 2 p.m.
Thank you for the support for the Coalición de Derechos Humanos and the Día de los Muertos Pilgrimage. We hope you can help us remember each lost life, whether they were found or not, because 15 years of deaths, is 15 years too many.