These self-help materials are designed for detainees to use in representing themselves when applying for some common forms of legal relief from removal. Please note they are written for detainees in Arizona and most were last updated in 2013, with support from the American College of Trial Lawyers Emil Gumpert Award.
These publications are meant to provide useful basic information about immigration law and detention in removal in Arizona and were created in the course of the Florence Project’s work. Under no circumstances do they constitute legal advice.
Some of our materials should be read in conjunction with other relevant or related guides. When appropriate, the following guides should be distributed together to pro se respondents:
1. “Pleadings & Establishing Eligibility for Relief” – this guide should be distributed to clients with problematic charges of removability or criminal convictions that present a challenge to seeking Adjustment of Status, 10 year Cancellation of Removal, LPR Cancellation of Removal, VAWA, or Termination of Proceedings.
2. “BIA Appeals” and “Ninth Circuit Appeals” – these guides should be provided to clients who intend to appeal an adverse IJ Decision in the removal proceeding.
3. “BIA Appeals” and “Writs of Habeas Corpus” – these guides should be provided to clients who intend to appeal a negative decision on bond.
General Resources | Recursos Generales
Integrating Social Services (a publication prepared in 2002 on how to integrate legal and social services to immigrants in ICE custody): English
(Please note that this guide is written for parents who are already detained in Arizona. For more information on how to make an emergency plan to protect parental rights before being arrested by immigration, please go see our guide here. Por favor nota que esta guía es para los padres que ya están detenidos en Arizona. Por más información sobre cómo hacer un plan de emergencia para proteger los derechos patronales antes de estar arrestado por inmigración, por favor se refiere a nuestra guía aquí)
Release from Detention | Salida de Detencion
Fighting your Deportation in front of an Immigration Judge | Peleando su Deportación en frente de un Juez de Inmigración
- Next Steps After Winning Adjustment of Status: English | Proximos Pasos despues de Ganar Ajuste de Estatus: Español
Asylum, Withholding of Removal, and the Convention Against Torture (Seeking Protection in the United States): English | Asilo, Retención de Expulsion, y la Convención Contra la Tortura (Buscando Protección en los Estados Unidos): Español
- Expedited Removal – The Credible Fear and Reasonable Fear Process: English | Explusion Rapida – El Proceso de Miedo Creíble y Miedo Rasonable: Español
- Instructions for People Who Win Asylum and Are Released From Custody: English
- U.S.C. Attachments for English and Spanish Booklets
- U.S.C. Acquired Citizenship Chart: English
- U.S.C. Derivative Citizenship Chart: English